Courtesy – DETROIT FREE PRESS
HERB-MARINATED CHICKEN THIGHS WITH TOMATO SALSA
Recipe Serves 4
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat, leave skin on
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs such as tarragon, oregano or thyme
- Favorite all-purpose seasoning blend
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small shallot or 2 green onions, chopped fine
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro
- 3 green onions or 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place the chicken thighs in a plastic sealable bag. Whisk together all the marinade ingredients and pour over the chicken. Work the marinade into the chicken by pressing on the outside of the bag with both hands. Squeeze air out of the bag and seal it. Marinate at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours or overnight.
To make the salsa: Combine all the salsa ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
Preheat the grill to medium. Oil the grill grates. Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade.
Place the chicken on the grill, skin side down. Grill until the skin easily releases from the grates, about 8 minutes. Watch carefully; if it starts to burn, move to a cooler area of the grill. Turn over and cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through, about 13-15 minutes more, depending on the size.
Remove from the grill; serve with salsa.
Approximate values per serving:
293 calories, 20 g fat, 74 mg cholesterol, 21 g protein, 6 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 75 mg sodium, 63 percent calories from fat.