Courtesy – WHOLE FOODS MARKET
GREENS, MUSHROOM AND WHITE BEAN RAGOUT
Recipe Serves 6
- 2 1⁄2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Marsala or red wine
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, button or wild or a mixture of both, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons whole spelt or whole wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 can no-salt-added Great Northern or other white beans or 11⁄2 cups cooked white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound (1 to 2 bunches) dark leafy greens, such as collards, kale or mustard greens, tough stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Bring 3⁄4 cup broth to a simmer in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in wine, rosemary and thyme and cook about 2 minutes or until wine evaporates. Add mushrooms and reduce heat to medium, cover and cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms release their liquid and begin to become tender, stirring once. Stir in remaining 1 3⁄4 cups broth and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together tamari, flour, nutritional yeast and 2 to 3 tablespoons of the hot broth to make a thick paste. Whisk paste into the simmering broth mixture, stirring constantly. Bring back to a simmer and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Stir in beans and greens, in batches if needed, cover and cook 5 minutes or until greens are wilted and heated through, stirring once. Stir in black pepper and serve.
Approximate values per serving:
310 calories (10 from fat), 1.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 54g carbohydrates, (17g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 17g protein.