Courtesy – DETROIT FREE PRESS
FRESH ROLLS WITH CHICKEN AND AVOCADO, MANGO AND RED PEPPER
- 11⁄4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium Tamari gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 medium avocado, halved, pitted, diced
- 3⁄4 cup finely diced mango
- ½ cup fine julienne of red pepper
- 1⁄3 cup shredded basil or cilantro
- 1⁄3 cup finely sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium Tamari gluten-free soy sauce
For the rolls:
- 12 rice wrapper rounds
- Hot water
- 12 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 1 to 11⁄2 cups fresh cooked thin rice noodles, optional
- Peanut sauce (see note)
To poach the chicken: Cut the chicken breasts into big pieces or just cut in half. In a skillet over medium heat, mix together water, chicken broth and soy sauce. Add the chicken pieces and cover the skillet. Cook about 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Let cool in the liquid. When cool, remove from liquid and shred chicken.
To make the vegetables: Combine all the vegetable ingredients in a bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Have ready a pie dish of hot water. Working with one rice wrapper round at a time, slide it into the water for about 15 seconds to soften it; don’t oversoak it. Remove and place it on a clean work surface and blot it with a clean towel. On the one-third of the wrapper that’s closest to you, place one lettuce leaf and flatten.
Top with some shredded chicken, vegetables and noodles. Fold in the right and left sides of the wrapper, then fold the bottom edge up and over the filling and start rolling away from you tightly to encase the filling. It’s best not to overfill these to ensure you get a tight roll. Repeat with remaining rice wrappers and filling. You can make these about 2 hours in advance. Just before serving, slice the rolls in half on the diagonal and top with peanut sauce. Serve with rice noodles.
Approximate values per serving:
240 calories, 3 g fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 12 g protein, 40 g carbohydrates, 343 mg sodium, 1 gram fiber, 12 percent calories from fat.