Courtesy – DETROIT FREE PRESS
CHICKEN CHIVE AND SPINACH BURGERS
- 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- 16 ounces ground chicken breast
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey Dijon mustard
- 1 small bunch fresh chives, snipped (about 1⁄3 cup snipped)
- 1 teaspoon favorite all-purpose seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup panko (or regular) bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- Lettuce, cheese slices, tomato slices
- 4 thin sandwich buns
Preheat or prepare the grill. Rinse the spinach leaves. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the spinach leaves with water still clinging to the leaves. Sauté the spinach until wilted. In a bowl, combine the ground chicken, honey Dijon, cooked spinach, chives, seasoning blend and bread crumbs. Mix well. Shape into 4 patties about 1/2-inch thick. Oil the grill grates and grill the burgers about 6 to 8 minutes per side or until thoroughly cooked. An instant-read thermometer should register 165 degrees. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard and chives. To assemble burgers, toast the buns, if desired. Spread a dollop of the mayonnaise mixture on the inside of each bun. Place lettuce on the bottom. Top with the burger, cheese slice and tomato. Place the other bun half on top and serve.
Approximate values per serving:
393 calories, 10 g fat, 84 mg cholesterol, 37 g protein, 35 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 894 mg sodium, 24 percent calories from fat.